Saturday, December 16, 2006

Rainy Day Writing

It's been raining on and off all day, a good day to sit down and write. We don't have many days like this in Southern California and since I have outside chores beckoning, the inclement weather comes as a welcome friend.

This morning I was able to finish the fourth draft of SS#2. I'm quite please with how I changed the ending. I hope it will leave readers thinking a bit.

I put the finishing touches in SS#1 and now I'm going to sit down and figure out to whom I should pitch it for commercial publication. I just joined the Writer's Digest Book Club and among my initial book deliver was the Writer's Market for 2007. I ordered this in order to have access to the most up-to-date information on the publishing literati. Now that I'm armed for battle, it's now time to figure out how to fight!

Oh, I'm not too surprised that my parents liked SS#1. After all, I'm their "little kid" (47 years old and more than a tad paunchy these days, so neither little nor kid applies). Nonetheless, their comments were very encouraging, even if they lack objectivity.

No work this week on SP#1 or SP#2. Sometime this weekend, I'm going to head over to Kinko's to print the former so I have a new hard copy to red line.

On the non-fiction writing front, I saw the web version of the industry article I wrote this week. I should get the print copy next week. I already have an article for my third article for this professional magazine, my most controversial yet and will most likely be the one that will be rejected by my bosses as being too negative. We'll see.

I just dug up a mini-autobiography of an interesting fellow with whom I became acquainted through a friend who lives on the island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas. While I never met the man in person, my friend gave him our phone number a couple of years ago and he called me out of the blue to chat. It seemed that he wanted to get some seed money to start a business and figuring I was an American, I must be rich enough to fund him.

While I wasn't able to satisfy his request for money, I did let him bend my ear to tell me the brief story of his interesting life. I was so taken with the tale that I suggested he write it all down and send it to me. If he did that, I told him at the very least I would transcribe it for him and perhaps even use it as a basis for a book or screenplay. Naturally, if something like that came to pass, I would share the profits with him 50/50.

Through all the moves over the last several years, I misplayed the story he wrote, but found it in this last move. I plan to keep my promise of transcribing it for him, though I have enough on my plate to turn it into a major work. Just rereading it, though, makes me want to go back there. Eleuthera is beautiful, as are the people.

Okay, that's all from here, folks. Please feel free to comment if you are so compelled. One way or the other, I will be keeping these weekly updates coming.

Best,
Michael.

No comments: