Saturday, December 23, 2006

Holiday Post

There are a few interesting things to report this week in my writing life.

First, the non-fiction article I wrote for an industry trade paper was released in print and I was surprised to receive a number of positive comments from readers, most of whom were effusive in their praise. My editor congratulated me and told me she loved my writing - and that I had an open invitation to write any time. I was quite flattered, to say the least.

I printed off the revised SP #1 and posted it on Inktip.com again, replacing its predecessor … the one that conflicted with a major studio's planned movie which basically is exactly like mine. Even if no one gets interested in this version, at least I'm not in conflict with anyone (that I know about) - and I reserved the domain name this time to try to protect it even further. Nothing's guaranteed, though.

I made the final pass on SS#2 and sent it to my folks for their input. Leia never got around to looking at it, so I bypassed her and went right to my parents. Meanwhile, I finished the first draft on SS #3 today. Another good thing, I have the beginnings of SS#4, this time more in the Stephen King genre, I think (from the start of it, it appears that's what I'll be doing … sometimes these stories take to you to places you aren't planning). I decided I want an even dozen before I consider putting together a collection for self-publication.

I started going through the Writer's Market 2007 to see where I can start pitching these short stories I’m writing. There are a number of literary magazines that pay a little money, but more importantly, are willing to publish new authors. I'd love to develop a following and then be given "commissioned" work to write.

I returned to SP #2 and plan to complete the first draft of that no later than January 31st. I'd like to get it posted on Inktip.com by March 1st, but that's only if I can get someone to make a read through / comment for me. I may have to hire someone to do that!

I have yet to start designing either of my two websites devoted to writing - one will be my "professional" writing calling card and the other will be a writer's forum. Maybe this weekend, since we don't have any holiday plans to speak of. Dinner at our favorite restaurant for Christmas Eve and dinner at home on Christmas Day. The best part - A Christmas Story marathon all weekend long!

And so, from our family to yours, Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!

Michael.

No comments: