Saturday, December 16, 2006

Finally, the Next One

It's been a busy week, writing-wise. The big news (in my little world) is I finally mapped the outlined scenes in my Mind Map program for SP #2, then started writing the dialog! I actually thought up this script's concept shortly after I finished SP #1, but it was only after we moved into our house that I finally got it together and laid out a detailed scene description for the entire movie.

Writing a screenplay is very much like watching a movie, at least for me. I have to envision real actors that I imagine will play the roles and then have them act out the scenes. The first draft is usually just to get the whole thing down on "paper." The second draft is usually where I punch up the dialog, fix grammar errors and such. The third draft is where I reconcile any inconsistencies, tighten up weak plot points or enhance any other part of of the draft that needs work.

After that, I try to get someone to do a read through and give me their honest critique. My wife would be a good choice, but by her own admission, she lacks the attention to read anything of more than a paragraph or two at a time. In my last screenplay, she was able to get through half of it only, mostly with my working with her on it.

Meanwhile, I've started the second draft of SS #2. As is my modus operandi, this draft is to spice it up a bit, correct obvious errors in grammar, etc. Drafts 3 through the final are to reread and rewrite as needed, concentrating on flow, consistency and tenor.

I sent SS #1 to my parents to read and give me feedback, since Leia has yet to even complete skimming of the thing. Fiction just doesn't interest her - and she went to college on a creative writing scholarship!

Speaking of my wife, I was able to get her to send me her notes on the screenplay we informally outlined a few months ago. That one will prove to be a thriller in the same vein as The DaVinci Code or Déjà Vu, I think.

Meanwhile, on the idea front, I came up with a great idea for a comedy to showcase Will Ferrell, one of my favorite comedic actors. I wrote the synopsis for a plot of a murder mystery (this one will be kind of violent, not my usual genre). However, if it works out, it will be a difficult whodunit to crack. A concept for a children's book appeared one morning before we drove to my office. This place we live in is such a creative inspiration for me.

I swear, if I could only make money doing nothing, I'd be writing all the time!

OK, that's all for now. The other blog has been updated, so it's time to get to other assignments. I hope you have a great week.

Michael.

No comments: