Saturday, December 16, 2006

Next Move

So, how does one pick himself up after being dealt with such a blow? First, you rationalize the hell out of the situation. You tell yourself, hey, I must be on the right track because a big film company like Fox thinks the idea I also had is marketable. In fact, they attached a big name to it, so it's as good as made, right?

Then, you note that it was only a pitch that was announced (no script) and then you delude yourself that either they will drop the project because the two women who are assigned to write it can't do it or you'll pitch your script and hope they like it better.

Or you decide to rewrite your darling, taking into account the suggested changes made by the production company you originally spoke to - including changing the title, which seemed to be the primary hook in the first place.

I decided not to pitch my script to Fox because I'll end up getting in some copyright conflict with them at their initiation (even though I can clearly prove I had the completed script long before December 2005).

Meanwhile, back at the creative mill, I have a lot going on - so much, in fact, that I could get overwhelmed if I'm not careful. I'm on the fourth draft of my first short story, one that I plan to pitch to some appropriate magazines. I picked up where I left off on my second short story and I'm trying to finish that first draft by the end of the month. I just posted an essay I wrote a couple of years ago on a writer's forum and on the same board, I uploaded a poem I just wrote, the first one since high school.

On the longer work front, I just completed the detailed outline of my second screenplay. I decided to break down my 800 page novel into component parts and start character dossiers to get back into the story (with the idea of completing the first draft by April 1, 2007).

I already wrote two articles for a professional journal, the second one to be published in December. I intend to write articles for the same journal in the New Year, at least to keep my name out there.

Since I do web design, I decided that I will finally get my website TheWritersLance.com up and use that as my vehicle from which to pitch freelancing work. One of my New Year's resolutions is to join some freelancing websites to get some business and hone my chops; having a website will help "sell" me as an entity and keep my name out there.

Another website I have planned is my own writers' forum. I already reserved the domain yawfm.com (it stands for "Yet Another Writers' Forum").

On the blog front, besides this one, I write a weekly article for one blog, mirror posts from a popular web forum to a second blog and on the third blog I started, I comment on world events as I see them. This last one has been the most neglected, unfortunately.

With all this going on, I have a large number of ideas for novels and screenplays - so many, in fact, that if I could write full time, I would have ten years worth of effort ahead of me.

In my next post, I'll reveal my reasons for this late career change and the "master plan." Stay tuned ...

Michael

No comments: