Sunday, April 15, 2007

On Tap: Production

This was the week of major crises in the non-writing front (see http://villa-hilla.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html for details), so good scribbling time has been lost and therefore, some impact on production. Ah yes, production is the word of the day here on this blog.

After outlining "Mexico, NY" and estimating the length - a true novella, I think - I decided to return to "Dylan's Prayer," the piece that was originally supposed to be a flash fiction story, but I decided to take it to the next level. I outlined that one, too, and now I'm writing 'er down. It's going to be a couple more weeks until I have a draft for review. I'm trying to make this one sort of a message piece, but I hope I don't get too tangled up in the details and forget the flow. It's hard for me to be objective about that kind of thing. I'm sure I'm not alone.

In Verse

This was a big week for poetry for me. I completed "Jabberwocky 2007," a political satire based on the poem by Lewis Carroll. This was the only one I uploaded this week for public consumption. All the rest I've kept in "private" mode until I'm ready to trot them out. Other titles include: "Concrete & Cactus," "Tormented Boulevard," "City Slumber," "Genesis Reborn" and "Concrete Silhouette."

I also write a piece in memory of Kurt Vonnegut, one I call "Good Night, Dresden." I didn't make that piece readable by others, either, at least not yet.

In addition, I've been pulling some of my pieces from availability that have been up on EditRed for a while. These are works I completed and either got few critiques, never ended up on anyone's bookshelves or I hadn't submitted them to the EditRED anthologies.

Novel

Nothing to report again on On A Gelding's Trail. In fact, I haven't given it too much thought since I was so gung-ho on it a few weeks ago. Part of my production issues (see Editing below), but also I want to write everything I can when I have the time and there is only so much time to write.

Screenplay

Not one blessed edit on A Perfect Tenant this week. Too many personal crises to manage and some lack of ambition in that department. I swear, though, I'll be hitting it hard this week.

Editing

I cut back on my reading significantly this week, including turning down several reader requests on EditRED. I found my production was SO down compared to what it was before I joined the site and that wasn't good for my short story collection. As much as I appreciate getting (and giving feedback), there has to be a balance. Spare time is a premium and I don't want to spend it all reading and critiquing the work of others. At the same time, I appreciate the feedback, too, for my own curiosity and self-checking. Anyway, it is what it is.

Reading

Still going through Chris Vogel's book, The Writer's Journey, though it's been slow going. The book is very informative and insightful, but it's not a casual read. I'm learning as I go through it, which is good. Meanwhile, for fun reading, I started Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. I love irreverent religious parodies. This one is right up my alley.

Writing for Hire

My wife sent me a link to American Chronicles, an e-zine. They are soliciting contributors for no pay, but an opportunity to get published and get some notoriety. I decided to take a shot at it and sure enough, they emailed me they were interested in adding me to their stable. I don't know how much I'll be talking about that here since I may just end up publishing under my given name, but at the very least, I can describe some of my experiences.

Other

As I mentioned above, Vonnegut died this past week and it makes me sad in a way. Not the kind of sad you feel when a close family member dies, of course, but more like an uncle you see from time to time who always makes you laugh or think long after you part company. I read many, many works of Vonnegut and he wasn't overrated in the least. He was a genuine writing phenomenon, one whose shoes won't be possible to fill. We just need to buy new shoes and make sure someone can occupy them.

So for you, Kurt: you lived; you wrote; you died. So it goes.

That's all for this week. Thank you for your feedback and encouragement, as always.

Michael

No comments: