Sunday, April 22, 2007

American Chronicler

As I already mentioned last time, I got a new writing gig this week. Okay, it's not a paying one, but it's one that will get my (fake) name out there, this time in the non-fiction world. My wife sent me a link to American Chronicle, an online news/opinion site which said they were looking for writers. I emailed them and soon had my own account. I've already published two articles there and I have ideas for several more. You can find my site at American Chronicle.

In a similar vein, I signed up with Helium, but I have yet to submit an article to them. I'm trying not to over-commit myself, one of my flaws. I get so enthusiastic about things I love that I tend to go overboard.

In Verse

I completed four poems this week, but have not published them yet. A few trusted readers have had a chance to read them, though, and I got some good feedback. This was especially important since I was experimenting quite a bit this time out. Why not? It's not like I can't test some ideas or anything.

I completed pulling all the poetry I had published on EditRed save for the few pieces I mentioned last week. This has been a good way to cut back on my reading / critiquing, too, since I'm not getting new reviews of my own work which oblige me to do the same for others. One method to avoid over-committing.

Reading

I put Chris Vogel's book, The Writer's Journey, aside for a while. Instead, I finished reading Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. This was an outstanding book - hell, I wish I wrote it! I emailed Moore to tell him what I thought of his novel and he was kind enough to reply.

Other

This week I finally designed and uploaded my website, MichaelCordellAuthor.com. I decided to take the easy design way and used the web builder program on godaddy.com's site. Eventually, I hope to be able to post press releases about my books and such (and excerpts, etc.). One step at a time.

As you can see, it was a pretty light week of writing for me, at least compared to previous weeks. I've been a bit under the weather, I'm afraid, and I've been less than enthusiastic about writing as a result. All I can say is appreciate your health when you have it, friends. All too often, it slips away and then you have nothing.

That's all for this week. Thank you for your feedback and encouragement, as always.

Michael

No comments: