Sunday, February 25, 2007

Through the Portal

When I wrote "The Rebound Guy" (now called "Ricochet Man") back in 2005, I had no idea that I would be still here in California today, writing about my neophyte attempts to build a professional writing career. In fact, even though I aspired to writing for a living back then, I thought it was going to be a while until I found my voice, get inspired, what have you.

While I'm still at the beginning stages of the dream, the dream has taken more shape in the last several months. First, we ended up staying in California after all, thanks to a series of misadventures and life twists. Second, once I began writing down ideas for screenplays, books, etc., I realized I could easily write every day for years to come and never run out of material.

It was this week, when I was casually penning the beginnings of two new short stories, finishing the first draft of "A Perfect Tenant," and completing chapter two of "On A Gelding's Trail" that I realized what the profound change in me in the last eighteen months. It's like the portal to my right brain has been opened WIDE and the flood of whatever was stored in there is flowing out uncontrollably.

Did I find my voice? I don't know about that. Am I going to be a commercial success as a writer? Who knows, there are so many OUTSTANDING writers out there and so many of them aren't published. Still, I think I have as good a chance as any of my fellow aspiring authors of making it in this business. After all, I'm not looking for fame or fortune, though I'm not going to turn them away if they come knocking at my door. What I am looking for is a way to supplement my income so I can take early retirement from this daily grind I live.

Writing is giving me a chance to express my creative brain that music and even computer programming used to let me do. So, as along as I stay healthy, I should be able to continue to crank 'em out until it's time to cremate my sorry carcass and send me to the Great Spirit. I hope I can entertain others along the way.

Houston, We Have Some Progress …

Big announcement: as of 2/24/07, the first draft of "A Perfect Tenant" is complete! I thought it was going to run WAY long, but it came in at a perfect 114 pages (including the cover page).

The conventional wisdom is that one minute of film time is equivalent to one page of script, so you need to get the final draft down below 120 pages for a standard two hour movie … usually less for a comedy, sometime more for a drama. This is a comedy, but there is more action than in my last script, which was definitely dialog-intensive, which makes sense, since this one is a physical comedy to some degree.

The other big announcement … I submitted three of my stories to a literary magazine! This is my first submission and one of the reasons I did it with them was they took online submissions. The whole idea of sending paper letters and manuscripts in this electronic age doesn't appeal to me, but I'll do it to get published, of course.

They Put the "Butt" in "Rebuttal"

On the non-fiction front - which, if you haven't been paying attention I published on my given name - I had an interesting surprise regarding the last article I wrote. While I realized my comments were going to be somewhat controversial, especially to my peers in my industry, I didn't realize how strong those counter opinions were going to be.

The emails I received after it published, while 9-1 in favor of my point of view, still had strong dissenters. I forwarded all the emails I received to the editor as she requested. Lo and behold, in the most recent issue of the magazine, they published a number of letters, pro, con and in between! The editor never gave me a heads up about this.

Being a good sport, I sent her an email commenting that there would be more to follow after these rebuttals. I even sent her a blurb in response to publish should they want to stretch it out one more issue, though I believe they'll only publish that and follow-ups on their website.

Meanwhile, I prepared for the onslaught of further emails (both pro and con), but got nothing. As controversies go, it was more of a tempest in a teapot, I guess. But in the interests of fair and balanced reporting, the responses I received were 9-1 in favor of my point of view. Not saying I always have to be right or anything, but still, it's nice to know I struck the right chord with the readers.

My Lost Novel (one of two)

In one of my blog posts, I made reference to a novel I started in 2002 which has grown over 820 pages and still is one chapter shy of completion. In my references to this work (called "The Wrong Brother"), I said that was the first novel I ever tried to write. Then I realized I forgot one.

Back when I first graduated from college, I moved to the Jersey shore to work for an engineering company there. I got an oceanside apartment and tried to live the "cool" bachelor lifestyle for a while (at least as cool as a software engineer could ever be). This was back in 1981, before personal computers were so ubiquitous and well before MS Word ever saw the light of day.

I would say my college experiences were less than positive, especially since I was a transfer student and was trying to make the best of my last two years of college while trying to stuff three years worth of credits in my major into the time I had left. That made it very hard to live on campus with the typical party people you find in upstate NY schools and get any work done. Regardless, I had my share of interesting experiences (mostly from an observer's point of view), many of which would be entertaining in print.

So, in my new beach apartment, I one day sat down in front of my blue Smith-Corona with a box of Co-raseable bond typing paper and began to write a novel chronicling a young man's days in college. I wrote about 100 pages (or about six chapters) and gave it to some friends who gave me feedback, all telling me they loved it.

The problem? It was too racy, even for my tastes and I wrote it! More importantly, it was nothing like the truth (at least for me), but instead came from my fevered imagination. I really didn't like the way the novel was going, so I put it to the side.

When I moved from Jersey, I had to clear out a bunch of junk and came across the wrinkled pages in a manila folder. Not thinking I'd want anyone to ever see it, I threw it out. I THREW IT OUT. I could just kick myself, since it would've been nice to have, if only as a bit of nostalgia.

Next Time

I realize this blog post is running long and since I'm a bit under the weather this weekend (thanks to some visitors from our Chicago office who decided to bring their sickness with them), I'm going to defer one topic until next time. So, to come …

The Cone of Silence (part 2) … the movies "Pi" and "Haiku Tunnel" … tales of another lost novel, this time from the PC age.

Have a creative week and keep writing - you deserve it!

Michael

http://www.editred.com/socalvillaguy
http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/user_id/socalvillaguy
http://myspace.com/socalvillaguy

No comments: