Sunday, February 4, 2007

A "Novel" Idea

Okay, I know the title isn't exactly "novel" … especially for a writer, I guess. However, I REALLY, REALLY mean it, I promise!

Some of this I blogged last week …

After writing "Animal Control," I began a new one which I tentatively entitled "On A Gelding's Trail" (in fact, I had no plot initially in mind, as often happens). I started with an interesting character name and put him in a situation, then started a dialog in my head and before long, I started the steady progress of writing it down.

In this particular case, I started looking ahead and realized the story was going to die on the vine at some point, or wouldn't be very interesting. I almost put it to the side to start a new one. Then I remembered Lucinda Dreyer from "Animal Control," a woman I hoped to use again as a main character in a novel. Voila! She then entered the story as a pivotal character and made perfect sense at the point where the tale was going.

I wrote this new short story with some frenzy for a couple of days and at twenty-two pages, I thought I'd better start laying out the scenes to keep from getting confused with my own mystery. That was Friday and by yesterday afternoon, I was convinced of two things: I had a good plot for a novel (now in progress) and this could never be a short story, even if I excerpted a part of it.

So, "On A Gelding's Trail" will be the first novel in my Lucinda Dreyer series. I am very pleased!

For me, a lot of the fun of writing is watching in my mind's eye the story as it unfolds. I've found outlining is just as effective as scene summaries for me - and sometimes, I just write freeform and let the plot just evolve. If I open up my mind enough, I find that pieces fall into place without my pushing them there. It's only when I try to force it that it becomes a problem. I might as well be trying to carve mahogany with a plastic knife.

The bonus, by the way, is that I came up with an entire plot for the short story I "should" be writing for my collection. That's in the queue.

Posting My Creations

This week, I started posting my short stories on EditRed.com. I also wrote two more poems that I posted there as well. Also, for the first time since I joined, I started posting material on Writing.com.

Finding Neverland

Leia and I finally watched the movie we've had at home from Netflix. I'm annoyed with myself for waiting so long to view it! It was really well done - great set design, script and acting along with an engaging storyline. I'm not a big fan of Johnny Depp, but I give him props for this flick. If you're a writer, then I recommend you watch how a great writer finds and dances with his muse.

A Perfect Tenant

No, I haven't forgotten my second screenplay. I've found if a take a week off between the end of one act and the beginning of the next one, I come back to the table much fresher. However, I really like the progress I've made and the process I used to get there. It allows me the chance to step away without losing the thread of the plot. One thing for certain, though … this one will have to be cut down quite a bit.

So, my from desk to yours, may you have a creative week - whatever you do!

Michael

http://www.editred.com/socalvillaguy
http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/user_id/socalvillaguy
http://myspace.com/socalvillaguy

No comments: