Sunday, January 7, 2007

Starting Out On the Right Foot

Progress. I completed the first act of the first draft of SP#2. I'm quite pleased with this tale I'm telling right now. It's a comedy, even a little slapstick at times. This is a bit different than my first one, which is more of an adult "romantic comedy." The only thing I'll say about this new one is it stars Robin Williams (in my mind, anyway).

Speaking of SP#1, I've gotten no more feedback on InkTip.com. At least it's now copyrighted, a standard practice I'll employ in all my works. This was advised to me by my entertainment attorney. I might as well take advantage of the high-priced legal help I've already paid for!

I've started using a dedicated Outlook calendar to plan out my writing "assignments." Since I'm so task-oriented, I know this will be the best way for me to keep my progress where it needs to be to achieve this year's resolutions. Updating this blog and two others is on the list for today; so is completing the first draft of SS#3.

I finished editing the third draft of SS#3 yesterday. I'm really enjoying writing these short stories. It gives me the opportunity to experiment a bit and try out different genres and literary devices.

Literary devices? Who the hell is this guy? Sheesh …

The books I've been ordering to help me in my writing career are finally arriving (and more are on the way). Who DOESN'T like to get a package in the mail? Besides some "instructional" books, I also ordered some short story collections, including Hemingway's entire oeuvre. In so many of the writing magazines, they cite Papa as the quintessential short story writer, bar none. I've read Hemingway's works, but I'm certainly no expert.

Keeping to one of my other resolutions - about reading this time - I finished one work of fiction already this month. It's a real page-turner … Paranoia by Joe Finder. I highly recommend it.

On the marketing side of things, I've been expanding my literary "friends" on my Myspace.com account (http://www.mspace.com/socalvillaguy). I want to be able to associate with all kinds of people in the publishing / film business, including aspiring writers of fiction and screenplays like myself. Networking is key to getting published or having a film produced and I'm internet-savvy enough to market myself using the web.

So far, then, it's been a good start to the New Year. If I can make a regular living in this writing business - somehow - I'll be able to segue to doing this in 7 years or when I'm 55. That's the game plan, folks, and I'm sticking to it!

From my pen,

Michael.

No comments: